Unlike trucks from the ‘90s, modern pickups like the 2019 RAM 1500 are wonderfully convenient, offering towing and trailering power without sacrificing performance or cabin space. This is perhaps why pickup trucks represent one of the fastest-growing auto segment in America.
But as the popularity of half-ton pickup trucks skyrockets, so too does class saturation, as new wannabe “truck of the year” candidates flood the market to unseat actual “truck of the year” winners. And although imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, there’s simply no American-made truck that can compete with the all-new RAM 1500 and its best-in-class features. (Just look at all the awards it won!)
2019 Truck of Texas Award
Just 500 miles west of our Birmingham RAM dealership, you’ll find a small state called “Texas.” Surprisingly, Texans buy about a quarter of all trucks in the country. So, you could say that Texans know a little bit about what makes a good truck. That’s why the newest RAM 1500 winning the coveted 2019 Truck of Texas award is such a big deal.
In awarding the RAM 1500, Michael Marrs, Texas Auto Writers Association’s president, noted that the winning truck “…performed well even in challenging weather conditions.” In fact, all RAM trucks excelled in TAWA tests, earning the auto brand 7 total awards:
- Best full-size pickup — Ram 1500 Limited
- Best heavy-duty pickup — Ram 2500 Power Wagon
- Best luxury pickup — Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
- Best off-road pickup — 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel
- Best technology — 2019 Ram 1500 Uconnect controls with 12-inch touch screen
- Best powertrain — 2019 Ram 1500 eTorque 48-volt mild hybrid
2019 MotorTrend Tuck of the Year
“…there isn’t a truck out there that so precisely hits the diverse needs of the segment better than the 2019 RAM 1500.” –MotorTrend
The latest RAM 1500 unanimously won the MotorTrend Truck of the Year award largely because it’s just that good. Of the 100-plus features available in the 1500, critics highlighted the following features that ultimately secured the RAM 1500 pickup’s seat atop the leaderboard:
- A variety of front grille (7), wheel (15) and headlamp (3) design choices;
- Impressive interior upgrades, such as a fully configurable center console, desk-like console lid, three variations of RAM’s Uconnect infotainment system, a large 12-inch touchscreen, and larger RamBins hidden under the rear floor;
- A Reclining rear bench seat with heating and cooling functions;
- Two-tone leather and wood cabin treatments across the entire RAM 1500 lineup;
- Fluid steering and a high-end coil-spring suspension;
- Best-in-class towing capacity of 12,750 pounds;
- The segment’s best bed extender and cargo divider;
- Rearview tow-and-go cameras;
- A system that assesses your trailer’s length and adjusts the blind-spot alert zone to accommodate the load;
- Class-best 0.357 Cd;
- And best-in-class V8 4×4 fuel economy.
And that’s without mentioning the RAM 1500’s 5 USB ports, wireless phone charger, and “Do Not Disturb” infotainment safety feature. Whew!
2019 Consumer Guide® Automotive Best Buy
Editors at Consumer Guide® also heaped praise on the 2019 RAM 1500, awarding it the Large Pickup Truck Best Buy trophy for the 11th consecutive year. A major contributor to its win was the truck’s significant enhancement in fuel efficiency, which was powered by an all-new eTorque mild-hybrid system. This innovative powerplant, when married to the V8, returns up to 23 mpg hwy, which is one of the best EPA-estimated numbers in the half-ton pickup class. Plus, the RAM 1500 has also undergone a truck-bariatric surgery, shedding over 200 pounds from its frame.
North American Truck of the Year
Perhaps the biggest accomplishment is the RAM 1500’s North American Truck of the Year win. After test-driving trucks for hundreds of hours and across thousands of miles, NACTOY jurors chose the RAM 1500 as the top dog, so to speak, beating 1500 rivals like the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra.
When asked about the RAM 1500’s NATOY win, John Davis, Executive Producer at MotorWeek, said, “RAM continues to lead the way in making a big truck double as a big family pleaser with as much attention paid to interior conveniences and ride comfort as cargo hauling and towing.”
You’re Invited to Test Drive the RAM 1500 in Birmingham
Don’t deny yourself the pleasure of getting behind the wheel of the best pickup of 2019. With excellent truck finance deals and RAM lease incentives, our RAM dealership in Jefferson County, AL, is your one-stop shop for savings on the most popular new trucks on the road. Visit Jim Burke Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM at 1409 5th Ave in Birmingham to test drive the RAM 1500, or call us at (205) 588-6285 to request a quote. We’re conveniently located to serve shoppers in Hoover, Tuscaloosa, and the surrounding region.
Sources & Photos: