Following last year’s redesign, the latest 2019 Jeep Wrangler returns with the iconic soft-top style and a handful of new niceties, including the addition of adaptive cruise control and forward-collision warning to the Advanced Safety Group, and a fancy pearl-turquoise Bikini color option. Yet beneath all the decorative and somewhat upmarket additions, this Jeep Wrangler is clearly a callback to its WWII-era, open-air ancestor.
Hey, we’re not complaining, and neither should you – the 2019 Wrangler may sport a more retro look, but it remains one of the most capable off-road SUVs you’ll find anywhere.
Classic Wrangler, with a Twist
Historically speaking, the Jeep Wrangler has been the traditional vehicle of choice for fearless drivers who create their own forks in the road and choose their own destinies. Solid axles, special off-road tires, fold-down windshields, rugged steel skid plates, exceptional crawl ratios – these off-road traits are what one would expect in their Wrangler.
However, there’s a public perception that the Wrangler’s off-the-beaten-path manners don’t translate well to Birmingham cul-de-sacs, which has kept some city-dwelling SUV buyers from enjoying the full Jeep experience. The newest Wrangler generation is here to set the record straight: this is a classic off-road Jeep Wrangler with all the on-road capabilities of a “normal” SUV.
A trio of 4×4 systems offer top-notch gripping power both in slick conditions and on tough terrain:
- The Selec-Trac 4×4 System automatically switches from 2WD to AWD under certain conditions – think: snow, mud, or ice – and delivers torque to the appropriate wheels, making it a worthy every-day SUV.
- Command-Trac provides shift-on-the-fly 4WD to help the Wrangler traverse low-range rock formations or tow around heavy items with ease.
- Rock-Trac comes with a specialty off-road transfer case with 4:1 low gear ratio, Tru-Lock® electronic differentials, and an electric sway bar to provide drivers even more advanced control.
Under the squared-off hood, the Wrangler is fitted with a standard 285-horsepower 3.6L V6, which pairs nicely with an 8-speed automatic (or 6-speed manual gearbox, if that’s your M.O.). A turbo-four 2.0L is also available and returns 35% better fuel efficiency than its V6 cousin. Both engines are rated to tow up to 3,500 pounds.
All Jeep Wranglers feature the iconic and illustrious “drop top” roof – either a canvas soft top or hard-top panels – and select Wrangler trims can be built with a first-ever power panoramic Sky One-Touch Power Top sliding roof. At the single push of a button, the 2019 Wrangler accordions its roof in just 20 seconds to produce the most convenient open-air experience possible. No longer will you have to check the rain forecast!
Like the original Jeep Wrangler, the 2019 model can roll around without doors. Fold-down windshields are also standard on the 2019 Wrangler, and now they’re easier to operate, too; simply remove 4 bolts and — voila! — you’re ready to snack on some bugs.
In all, the 2019 Wrangler looks a lot like the Wranglers of yesteryear, but make no bones about it – this Jeep Wrangler functions like a true 21st-century SUV.
Tons of Modern Features
Look inside to see that Grandpa’s Wrangler the 2019 model is not. Rugged in all the right places yet refined where it matters most, the Wrangler is equipped with plenty of modern masterpieces.
- The award-winning Uconnect 4C NAV infotainment system can be tapped through on the Wrangler’s intuitive 8.4-inch touchscreen. All your favorite streaming apps are available – Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, SiriusXM – as is Bluetooth connectivity and navigation with integrated voice commands. Everything pumps through a high-fidelity 552W 9-speaker sound system.
- A 7.0-inch information display keeps track of key driving data, including vehicle speed, turn-by-turn directions, and more.
- New Wrangler SUVs also can be customized with a 4G Wi-Fi hotspot that connects smart devices in a 50-foot radius.
- Heated front seats with two-way lumbar support put the 2019 Wrangler on the “most comfortable SUV” list, as well.
- In the back are Jeep Utility Grid storage pockets and a hidden rear storage compartment that can be accessed by lifting a hatch on the cargo floor, almost like you’re John Locke from LOST. That goes hand in hand with a lockable glove box and central storage console.
- 2019 Wrangler models are also designed with a waterproof (aka. washable) interior with removable carpets and an all-new floor drain valve. Wash away, friends.
Overall, the attractive new Wrangler proves once and for all that it’s what’s on the inside that counts. (But it doesn’t hurt to look nice on the outside, too.)
Shop Jeep Wrangler SUVs for Sale in Birmingham
Recognized as Motor Trend’s 2019 SUV of the Year, the new Jeep Wrangler is undoubtedly an evolutionary marvel—some might even call it a mystery. How does an SUV carry over 75 years of iconic charm yet continue to challenge the status quo? The world may never know, but at least we can all benefit from the Wrangler’s success.
We invite you to test drive the new 2019 Jeep Wrangler in Birmingham by visiting Jim Burke CDJR at 1409 5th Ave N. Located near Hoover, our Alabama Jeep dealership has a great selection of new Wrangler models and other Jeep SUVs for sale, as well as new Jeep lease and finance deals. Call us at (205) 588-6285 to schedule an appointment or acquire more details about the Wrangler.
Sources & Photos: